[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday June 9

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Jul 9 23:20:06 PDT 2010

On 09/07/2010 22:10, Robert Ringwald wrote:
> 1906: Joe Darensbourg
> 1915: Joe Liggins

I got 100% association today (luckily for me, there are only two).  I
got to play with the older Joe when he did a New Orleans master class at
UCLA organized by Alden Ashforth back in the 80s.

My association with the younger Joe was quite fast.  I interviewed him
on my KCRW show and produced a live broadcast of a concert.
Unfortunately, Joe Liggins passed away only a couple of weeks later.  I
attended his funeral, which to date, was the largest funeral I have ever
witnessed.  There had to be 3000 people there (or more) and the gospel
choir rocked hard.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson