[Dixielandjazz] Fake Books in the 1970s >>Nabor's ?

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Jul 9 18:07:55 PDT 2010

That fake book, "Vintage Jazz Standards", was by *Bob Neighbor*, who
played with Turk Murphy for some years. The first edition was in
manuscript form, and made a huge contribution to preserving Dixieland. Eg
dozens of them were sold by an Alexandria VA musicians' music store. A
second revised edition was computerized--I'm told it's still available,
but Neighbor retired from selling it.

It and the "Fire House Jazz Band Fake book" were ok for general musicians
needing some dixieland tunes, but both suffered from so many inaccuracies
that I was inspired to produce
"Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 1 & 2".

When I first got into playing Dixieland, many-generational zerox copies of
John Thomas's fake book were used by DC area musicians.

I have 2 copies of Neighbor's first edition, 1 copy of the 2nd ed. which
I'll sell for $20.00 each.

--Sheik