[Dixielandjazz] Teaching Jazz improv to a new band memeber.

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Tue Jul 6 09:27:17 PDT 2010

As someone who is learning to both play the saxophone and play solos, I
think I may be able to comment on this situation.  If the guy is not
willing to spend 2 hours a day learning the art, then he won't be able
to do it.  It is not really worth it to bring  a non- soloing lead horn
into a small band. You can quickly teach a guitarist or a tuba player to
play trad jazz, but that's about it.

With sax, I first learned how to improvise backup parts.  This instantly
made me valuble because I could also elaborate on the melody to form a
basic solo.  Very few (you might as well say none) adults are willing to
spend this kind of time or have the theoretical knowledge to do what I did.