[Dixielandjazz] Improvisation

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 5 13:33:22 PDT 2010

And don't forget EARS.

An accomplished improvisor should be able to HEAR the chords of a song
the first time it is played as long as it is not too convoluted. Most
OKOM is relatively easy to HEAR.

Barbone Street always makes it a point, when playing with Jonathan
Russell, to play a song that he has never played before. Preferably
one he might never have heard. Then we tell him the key and start
playing it. At the end of the in chorus, if he nods yes, we have him
solo first. (He has always nodded yes so far)

Last time I played with him was a trio + him doing American Songbook.
We deviated and decided to do Corcovado, (Quiet Nights) a relatively
simple song. He had never heard it. He NAILED his improvisation after
hearing only 1 chorus.

His ears are extraordinary, he has perfect pitch, he can usually name
the chord when challenged by pianist or guitarist. So what works for
him, will not work for many others. <grin>

Other songs he learned on the job without lead sheets or chord charts
include; If I Had You, I Want A Little Girl, Fidgety Feet, That's Why
They Call Me Shine, etc.

EARS, those who have good ones are very fortunate, both as listeners
and as musicians.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband