[Dixielandjazz] Improvising

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Jul 5 10:26:40 PDT 2010

In reent posts, the subject of improvising ( how to ) has been the subject.

I can only offer the words of advice I received from my first teacher
and mentor, Ernest Loring Nichols - that's "Red" Nichols to most of you.
He was a close family friend and when I decided that the clarinet (at
least my playing of it) "sucked," and after dad had played a Goldkette
side of Clementine and I heard those first notes of Bix's pouring forth,
a cornet was my new goal. He helped my dad (a reed man) pick out a good
horn for me (Conn Victor cornet) and then my wily pater got him to give
me lessons.

You will have to learn the mechanics of your instrument of course to
play anything. But the ear training begins even earlier and that is the
key to improvising once you can play your damn horn. Red's advice is
worth repeating - before what's left of my aging grey cells go straight
line.

1. Learn the melody. REPEAT - learn the melody.
2. Learn the words. REPEAT, learn the words. The melody was made to go
with words and words determine those important elements of emotion,
humor, and nuance that carry over to performance. Sing the words aloud -
forget any audience - do it in private but do it and you'll begin to
know how to phrase words with melody.
3. Learn the chords - the foundation on which to build your eventual chorus.

Get these down as you continue to master the mechanics  of your
instruments. By the time you'll be "button ready" ready to spread your
improvisational wings you'll know what to play, how to phrase what you
play (thanks to the message in those matching lyrics), and have the
chops to get it through the  horn or  other sound producer. Your own
ideas will begin to determine what you eventually play, but  still based
on the basics of the song.

Give it time; practice, practice, practice your mastery of the
instrument and always be aware of steps 1-2.-3.

(And for all the brass players I pass on the "master rule" - one from my
friend & mentor, Red Nichols.  "DON'T FORGET THE LONG TONES!!")

This is one man's thoughts on the subject - certainly there are others
with their routines - but opinions are still just that - opinions. I can
only say that after recently retiring after 65 years of pushing air
though brass and making a living doing it, it worked for me!

Best to all, and "don't forget the long tones,"

Don Ingle