[Dixielandjazz] any improvising helps that i can use with

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 15:01:41 PDT 2010

Kirk,

For helping your trumpet player, the first question is what is his musical background? Does he know his music theory? e.g. does he know what is meant when one refers to the 9th of a D chord, or the 1,3,5 and 6 of a Bb major?

In order to assist him with his improvising it helps to know where he is coming from.  I may be able to refer you to a book or two that can help once I know where he is coming from.

As for lead sheets in C and Bb, write to me off list and I will see what I can do to help you. I have been putting together fake books that are set up for C, Bb, Eb instruments as well as in bass clef from trombone and bass clef with the melody written in the tuba range.

If anybody writes in Sibelius and wishes to assist me in this project, please feel free to contact me.

Kevin Yeates
Vancouver, Canada
kyeates at yahoo.com