[Dixielandjazz] Buble, Krall, Jones? Was "(no subject)"

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 13:23:18 PDT 2010

Not so, pat, not so...
At least - not here.  We have two groups that bring kids in - Swing de
Gitanes and New Orlens Function.
At least the latter used to busk; kids were attracted, started dancing
right on the street, and then follwed the band to other venues.
Last time I heard the band in a concert setting, and guess what (you
needn't huess if you have read my postings to the list) - most of the
public consisted of kids.  I'm not saying there were no other grey
heads, but I well might have been the oldest member of the audience.

Swing de Gitanes also often plays for dancing, and attracts young
audiences.  Its last concert at the Tel-Aviv Museum attracted many
young people; not all were jazz fans, but they discussed the styles of
Django and contemporary Gypsy swing groups in comparison to rock
guitarists.  Catholic tastes, bu inclusive of jazz.

And there are things we can do to promote the music we love.  For
example, I am taking my 13 year old granddaughter to a Swing de
Gitanes concert on 16th June.

Cheers