[Dixielandjazz] A response to Captain Bass

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sat Jul 3 13:16:43 PDT 2010

Captain:
Before you ask the guy to improvise, just have him learn tunes from
lead sheets first, and commit them to memory. Then have him copy ideas
from recordings. For example, listen to Bob Schultz, Ernie Carson.

  Every band should be working from  a good fake book. I always thought
that the "Bible" for OKOM, the Trad stuff, is the Nabor's Book.  While
we're on the subject, where are people getting Nabor copies these days?
- - -the latest one, with the right chords, and words . . ..

DJMLers: What are other books you're using, and where are they
available?

hoop de do,
Bill-try-not to-play-flat-Sharp

email tags I like:
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some
people have.

Today you're spending 1/7 of your week.The fraction is a lot neater
than the decimal..