[Dixielandjazz] Optimum sound from Double Basses - was Luckyhorse

tubaman at tubatoast.com tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Jan 30 12:45:19 PST 2010

About 25 years ago I was looking for a cheap double bass to learn how
to play - just in case I ever got tired of playing tuba. I  mentioned
this to the low brass salesman at Best Music in Oakland CA and he took
me to a instrument storage room to show me what they had. There was a
"no body" bass with electric pick-up that was within my price range -
it had the neck and tuning pegs from a very nice early 1900s bass, but
the sound board was two redwood planks, held together with some small
rough logs. It had a regular bridge with a Barcus-Berry pickup, but
where the scrollwork above the tuning pegs used to be there was a baby
doll's head with one green eye and one red eye (that open and closed
when the bass was tilted up or down!) On the back of the body the
words "Electronic Gorilla" had been scorched into the wood surface.
While it was strange to look at, the sound was actually pretty good
when amped, and the price was right, so I got it. I usually keep the
doll head covered with a velvet bag, but it does get an interesting
reaction when I take the cover off!

I have searched for more information about the instrument over the
years, but nothing has turned up...

Dave Richoux