[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Trio/Ragtime Banjo Commision

Mike Johnson mike at washboards.com
Wed Jan 27 14:23:13 PST 2010

Here is info on the Ragtime Banjo Commision from maurie Walker.

Mike Johnson

The Ragtime Banjo Commission consisted of Jeff Frank of the Pearl Street JB,
Cal Owen of the Yankee Rhythm Kings, plus Bill Clark and me from the Queen
City JB.  It was inspired by encounters amongst the three banjo players at
the Sacramento Jazz Festival.  We built up the repertoire by mailing charts
back and forth between Boston and Denver.  We played concerts at Sacramento
the next two or three years, as well as the Central City Jazz Festival and
at the Arapahoe Grill in Denver.  We issued an LP and had a Volume Two all
wrapped up, but it was sent back with instructions to add enough material to
expand it to a CD.  We could never get together again to do that.  Speakng
off the top of my head, this all happened in probably 1979 to 1983.

Maurie