[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free.

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:41:24 PST 2010

The Dixieland Crackerjacks did a free job for national TV a couple of years ago.

We did a scene in style of the N.O. funeral on a graveyard. (Filmed on a wednesday, early morning!)

It turned out to be a wise decision. The clip was repeated over 20 times on the first day and a couple of times in the next weeks.

The next day (On a Sunday, not exactly business day here) there was a phonecall for 104 gigs the next year. (Happily not 104 funerals!)

This contract was renewed 3 times, so we had over 400 days work from this little free thing. + other follow ups from people who saw us there.

But of course you have to be very selective about what free gigs you accept. I simply demanded garanteed TV exposure + our band name being mentioned.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma

www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com