[Dixielandjazz] The Complete Lyrics of Johnny Mercer" reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 26 19:52:47 PST 2010

"The Complete Lyrics of Johnny Mercer" reviewed
by Scott Eyman
Palm Beach Post, January 24, 2010

Another coffee-table book I avidly fell on was "The Complete Lyrics of Johnny Mercer,"
the latest in Knopf's series devoted to the great lyricists. This volume is edited
by Robert Kimball, Barry Day, Miles Kreuger and Eric Davis. Mercer's list of credits
could cover this entire page, but here's a couple: "Moon River," "On the Atchison,
Topeka and the Santa Fe," "One for My Baby" (my favorite), "Satin Doll," "Laura,"
"Skylark," "That Old Black Magic" (written during his affair with Judy Garland),
"The Days of Wine and Roses," and the complete scores for "Seven Brides for Seven
Brothers," "The Harvey Girls" (which starred Garland) and many others.
Mercer was also a co-founder of Capitol Records and an excellent singer, which all
by itself made him stand above and beyond other great songwriters, whose vocal efforts
were and are painful.
He had a very difficult marriage, a drinking problem, and the same agonizing third
act as most songwriters of his generation, who were rendered obsolete by rock and
roll. His favorite composer was Jerome Kern.
These books entail an astonishing amount of labor, but they're worth it. This one's
a beautiful job about one of the most delicate talents of his era.
-30

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much
government.  -Thomas Jefferson

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4772 (20100114) __________

http://www.eset.com