[Dixielandjazz] Kate Smith on new postage stamp

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 22 23:00:43 PST 2010

Kate Smith on new postage stamp

Excerpt from USPS press release, December 30, 2009:
With this 2010 stamp, the U.S. Postal Service honors Kate Smith (1907-1986), the
celebrated singer and entertainer whose signature song, "God Bless America" (composed
for her by Irving Berlin), has been called America's unofficial national anthem.
The stamp will go on sale May 1. In a career that spanned almost five decades, Smith
recorded nearly 600 songs. At least 20 of her records sold more than a million copies,
including three religious albums. The stamp art duplicates artwork created for the
cover of a CD titled, "Kate Smith: The Songbird of the South." The artwork was based
on a photograph of Smith taken in the 1960s.
http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2009/pr09_118.htm#kate

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much
government.  -Thomas Jefferson

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4772 (20100114) __________

http://www.eset.com