[Dixielandjazz] "Louis Armstrong: Good Evening Ev'rybody" reviewed

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Fri Jan 22 15:07:21 PST 2010

On the afternoon of April 13, 1956 Louis Armstrong and his All Stars
prerecorded a session to be broadcast over the AMPOL SHOW, a popular night
time show on Australian  radio in those days.

They began, of course, with  WHEN IT'S SLEEPY TIME DOWN SOUTH, at the end of
which Louis gave his usual "Good evening, everybody". The programme ended
with the same tune, but Louis muffed his words by saying "Good afternoon,
everybody".

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell

PS: I sent a copy of the programme to the American gentleman (whose name
I've forgotten) who was doing an Armstrong discography website - he said he
thought it was the best recording he'd heard by the All Stars.