[Dixielandjazz] umlaut truth revealed

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Fri Jan 22 08:46:48 PST 2010

I would think that you could really strengthen you embouchure by
pronouncing the letter "u" with an umlaut.  I still remember Herr
Meyers having us do that first without and then with the umlaut in
German I in high school.  A friend of mine drew a picture in my
yearbook of Donald Duck with a contorted beak and the caption, "Donald
Duck trying to say ["u" with an umlaut]."

Another odd thing:  The word umlaut doesn't have one.

Hal Vickery
Hal,
I have to confess, I lied.  I actually practice saying the word umlaut
multiple times to increase my pucker for smooching. Warning: Don't let
your teenagers in on this powerful secret.  (can't you just see this
written into a teenage movie script, where here we have dozens of boys
and girls sitting in class, constantly pursing their pouty lips in
umlauts, getting ready for Friday night?)

musical link:  musicians love a little humor
bs (billsharp)