[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Baker

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 21 12:46:12 PST 2010

It may have been 1984, but anyway the Edinburgh Jazz festival opened one of its venues with a jet-lagged Buddy Tate, a grey-looking George Chisholm (later on that day he was in a foul mood, I know not from what cause, maybe from not feeling well -- but playing like a demon, brilliantly) and among others two trumpeters, one of them the leader: Doc Cheatham.
Doc was in great form, but scratching his head, and all he could say about his fellow trumpeter, Kenny Baker, was. "I guess I just found a new trumpet teacher".

I hope people know the experience of waking up on a beautiful morning and feeling great.
Kenny had wakened up that beautiful morning and played unbelievably. He looked so happy, and the better he played the happier he looked.
wow