[Dixielandjazz] Anton Crouch: umlaut

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Thu Jan 21 11:25:29 PST 2010

Anton - -

Thank you for pointing out the importance of umlauts.
I wonder what fun we could have adding umlauts to other words? Know of
any others?   "umlaut" itself is such a "cool' word to say out loud,
though I think my mother would have washed my mouth out with soap had I
said it as a youngster.  I knew about it, but kept it to myself, unless
with the boys.

I have also found another use for the word "umlaut":
Being a trumpet player, I now use it in my daily flexibility regimen,
repeating the word dozens of times to strengthen my embrochure, since
it thrusts my lips forward, and tightens the corners of my mouth,
allowing easy lip slurs and easy access to the high register.

Bill (B# or Bb) Sharp