[Dixielandjazz] Sigurd Rasher - was Nazi Band Rules

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 19 09:27:55 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:13 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Bert Brandsma <dixieorkest at hotmail.com>
>

> In Germany before the war was one of the first great classical
> saxophonists. His name was Sigurd Rasher. He started as a clarinet
> player but loved the sax and made it his premier instrument. Many of
> the first important works for saxophone were dedicated to him, like
> the Glazounow saxophone concerto and many, many others. A lot was
> written in the 1930s.
>
> When the nazis became gradually more strict during that decade there
> came these weird regulations. The saxophone was considered American
> (Which was totally wrong, since it actually was invented by a
> Belgian who later went to France).
>
> And it was considered a Negro instrument as well. So poor Mr. Rasher
> had to flee his own country, the only reason being the choice of his
> instrument. He did a succesfull solo concerto in New York then, but
> then was not accepted in the US, because he was German! He fled to
> Cuba and for several years was doing country labour to stay alive.
>
> Finally after years he was accepted in the USA because of his wife ,
> who was accepted as a refugee. I believe she was Danish if memory
> doesn't fail me.

Dear Bert:

Oh my, Sigurd Rascher. What a great player.

I first heard him in concert at Duke University, Durham North Carolina
in the 1950s. It was a similar experience to hearing Charlie Parker
for the first time.

INCREDIBLE!!!!  The power and energy with which he played was
astounding. Jazzers can learn from him.

Below is his NY Times obit.

March 26, 2001 - NY Times - By Douglas Martin
Sigurd Rascher, 94, Who Showed the Sax Could Be Classy

Sigurd M. Rascher, a classical saxophonist compared by some to Casals
and Segovia for his influence on his instrument and its concert
repertory, died on Feb. 25 at his home in Shushan, N.Y. He was 94.

In the course of a 50-year career, Mr. Rascher played with virtually
all the major orchestras, many of which have never had another
saxophone soloist. A critic for The New York Times wrote that the
saxophone had gained ''aesthetic respectability'' on Nov. 11, 1939,
when Mr. Rascher was the first solo saxophonist for the New York
Philharmonic in 3,543 concerts.

Mr. Rascher was proud of playing dance music, but he feared his
instrument's potential to add rich tones to more serious musical fare
was too often unachieved. For that failure, he blamed both mechanical
modifications in the original design of Adolphe Sax's instrument and
bad musicianship.

''The nonexistence of a traditionally recognized tone quality gave
rise to this grotesque situation,'' he wrote in remarks that appear on
the ''Classic Saxophone On-Line!'' Web site (www.Classicsax.com). ''No
wonder that serious musicians disdain the saxophone!''

Two years ago, when the journal American Record Guide compared Mr.
Rascher to Casals and Segovia, it was by some measures an
understatement. For cello or guitar, the other two had available the
works of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven as well as their more modern
heirs, but the saxophone was not invented until 1841.

Mr. Rascher first learned the clarinet and piano. When a friend
mistakenly told him the saxophone was easy to play, he picked one up
at a pawnshop and began supplementing his income as a shop teacher in
Berlin in the 1930's with dance band jobs.

But his aspirations for the saxophone soared higher. First he
perfected his technique on the instrument Sax invented to unite the
expressive power of string instruments, the force of brass instruments
and the many shadings of woodwinds. He occasionally played in the
Berlin Philharmonic when saxophones were required.

Then he approached Edmund von Borck, the composer and conductor of the
Berlin Philharmonic, and asked him whether he had ever thought of the
saxophone as a solo instrument, according to an article in Woodwind
World in 1971. He gave a vigorous no, but after Mr. Rascher played for
him for a few moments, he asked for his address.

Months passed, and Mr. Rascher had almost forgotten the conversation,
when von Borck called to say a concerto was ready. The piece was
selected for a music festival in Hanover in 1932. ''It was the first
time I ever played with an orchestra, and I created an unbelievable
sensation, not only at the festival but in music circles throughout
Europe,'' Mr. Rascher said. He told of another warm reception in
Berlin a few months later.

But what seemed the beginning of a meteoric rise came to a halt when
the Nazis rejected ''foreign'' instruments like the saxophone, which
was invented in Belgium. Mr. Rascher left Germany and did not return
for a quarter century.

He lived and taught in Copenhagen and Malmo, Sweden, performing with
symphonies throughout Europe, including ones in London, Prague, Paris
and Warsaw -- more than 200 in all. He also encouraged composers to
write for the saxophone. Among those who wrote pieces for Mr. Rascher
to play were Glazunov, Ibert and Hindemith.

Sigurd Manfred Rascher was born on May 15, 1907, in what is now
Wuppertal, in the Westphalian section of Germany. His father was a
doctor, and he grew up surrounded by music at home. He concentrated
mainly on the clarinet in his early studies.

When a colleague in his dance band ridiculed the saxophone's narrow
range of two and a half octaves, he developed a fingering method that
let him play four octaves.

''No one before me had done this,'' he wrote in notes for a press kit
in the 1950's. ''Today, 25 years later, some of the more ambitious
players are beginning to follow my lead.''

He noted that his musical experiments were not appreciated by his
neighbors or landlady. ''A quick change of habitat saved me from the
attacks,'' he wrote.

Mr. Rauscher's scheduled performances in New York and Boston in 1939
were followed by invitations to perform in Washington and at Town Hall
in Manhattan the next year. At the Town Hall concert, Arturo Toscanini
hugged him.

He decided to stay in the United States, where his wife, Ann Mari, and
his son, Staffan, had joined him. But after difficulties with his
immigration papers, he went to Cuba, where he spent most of the war
harvesting sugar cane.

When he returned, the family settled in Shushan. Three daughters were
born there, Kristina Rascher, now of Düsseldorf; Carina Rascher of
Lürrach, Germany; and Astrid Radsh of Aberdeen, Scotland. Mr. Rascher
is also survived by a sister, Brigid Nosal of Salem, N.Y., and a
brother, Michael, of Manhattan.

Mr. Rascher taught at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, Union
College, the University of Mississippi and Yale. He formed the Rascher
Saxophone Quartet with his daughter Carina. The group is still active,
though Mr. Rascher played his last solo at 73.

Among his other contributions to the saxophone, he revived the making
of saxophone mouthpieces in the manner Sax had originally specified.
Newer models, yielding louder but harsher tones, had almost completely
replaced them.

When asked about this and his other achievements, Mr. Rascher always
had the same straightforward response: ''Someone had to do it.''

Hear him at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TI_z3IfPsM

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npH-DULg5lI&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLzR3QZcJo&feature=related

Gee, I hope no one says technique gets in the way, or worries about
too many notes <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband