[Dixielandjazz] Dance band rules during the 3rd Reich

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 18 23:43:04 PST 2010

Snopes has plenty to say about this one:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=49218

this is the Snopes forum, not the "official" Snopes determination  but
there seems to be a lot of problems with this one, especially that it
has no web cross-references except itself, non-historical proven names
and titles (and Germany is big on titles,)  and some "cuteness" in
details.

It is hard for me to say - my studies of Nazi German music are limited
- but while there may have been a governmental edict against jazz
performances and recordings, I don't think it was this one. (Or it is
a very bad and loose translation - and no original German text seems
to be available.)

Doing a bit more Googling, I find:
http://irom.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/humor-nazi-germanys-dance-band-rules-of-1940/
   and
http://irom.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/fiction-part-2-nazi-germanys-dance-band-rules/

> My initial post about the alleged Nazi Germany Dance Band rules was
> subsequently identified by Russian jazz writer Cyril Moshkow as an
> element in a fictional work by writer Josef Skvorecky.

  (this is just a snip - please read the whole thing and the follow-up
links for further possible clarification.)

Dave Richoux

On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:50 PM, billsharp wrote:

>>> Nazi Germany's Dance Band Rules and Regulations During The 3rd Reich

snip