[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 16 17:31:22 PST 2010

Bing Crosby 1932  Some of These Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgzR4jINXF8&feature=related

Nat Gonella 1937   Some of These Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGfY6hEF9iY

Interesting look at Bing and then Nat 5 years later. I would say Nat
is trying to copy Bing.

Regarding Nat's band swinging better than most US bands. . . . I'm
with Bill Haesler. If you start listening to US Swing bands of the
1930s you hear Chick Webb, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Benny Moten, Jay
McShann, Bob Crosby,Woody Herman,  plus a whole bunch of
internationally known US bands, as well as countless territory bands
in the US, that swung far better than Nat Gonella ever could, even in
his dreams.

IMO he was an OK player but not a jazz man and In agree with Brian
Harvey 100%. Showman, copier of Louis, copier of Bing Crosby, with an
average band that didn't come anywhere near swinging like the US Bands
of the 1930s did.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband