[Dixielandjazz] FW: Opera In a Market

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 16 09:26:24 PST 2010

I think you will all enjoy this, even though it is opera.  Last November,
at the central market in Valencia, Spain, opera singers disguised as
shopkeepers were selling produce at the various stalls. Suddenly, Verdi's La
Traviata starts playing over the loudspeakers and they burst into song.
None of the shoppers has a clue what's going on.  Sort of like candid
camera, but completely charming. It's long, but worth watching to the end.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ryWd5aFw

Notice the singers serve out our type of "bubbly" called Cava to people in
the audience, and then waltz with them.  Love the look on the people's
faces!
The sign held up at the end says "You see, you do like opera!"

The singers have lapel mics on, so they are actually performing artists, not
just miming.

(Although every town in Spain has at least one market like the on seen in
the video, the individual stall type shopping is being threatened by the
large chains such as the French chain Carrefour.  Nevertheless, even the
large chains have small stalls scattered through them, so you can still get
individual attention.)

Jim