[Dixielandjazz] All About Jazz article with Eli Newberger

jtnt at aol.com jtnt at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 06:21:29 PST 2010

I had a jazz calendar, 1989, I think, that on one month had a picture of
Eli with the caption:  "Doesn't he know you can't do that with a Tuba?"
which is what he frequently did the many times we say him play.

Saw him with Butch Thompson and Jimmy Mazzy in Rockland, ME. Was
dumbfounded when he sat down at the piano during intermission and played
wonderfully; didn't know then of his piano background.

Which reminds me of another piano playing tubist--Rich Matteson.  At a
late 50's Scobey appearance when the new piano player (Gene  Schroeder??) got
lost on the way to the club, the band started on time with  Matteson at the
piano, playing  tuba with one hand, piano with the  other.  Seems like
another "Doesn't he know you can't do that with a tuba  (and piano)?"

Jack Thomas