[Dixielandjazz] Teachers

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:11:58 PST 2010

> The main story about Arnett Cobb was his getting a response beside which the same audiences' responses to the solos of Jimmy Heath and Joe Henderson were comparatively limp.

For French audiences, it was enough to hear two-three bars of Cobb to
give him a tumultous ovation even before he really started playing
(his playing amply prpved he deserved it).

> Milt Hinton used to say that if a young player had time, meaning sense of timing, teaching was a matter of showing him or her where to put their fingers. By way of contrast, those who should properly be referred to as Paid instructors show young folks where to put their fingers to hide the absence of a sense of timing et cetera et cetera.

That may be so.  However, when thge trumpeter and leader of the
Isradixie Band, Avram Felder, coaches a youth band, after a few weeks
it SWINGS!  I have heard his youth bands from the Jaffa Music Centre a
few times, and, even if the soloist were still indifferent,  the bands
always swung.

The same was true of Roy Crimmins.  Roy, a founder member of the Alex
Welsh aggregation, has been living in Israel for many years.  In the
early years (the 1980's), he coached the Holon City Big Band (a youth
band), and the band swung like hell.  Actually, Shay Selman, the
drummer who accompanied Evan Christopher here, is a alumnus of that
band, and has been a professional drummer for many years now.

Cheers