[Dixielandjazz] Hanging out with the big timers

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 13 12:26:44 PST 2010

As for what he sees that others don't, could it be that Mr. Marsalis
remembers that many of the legendary giants of jazz actually started out by
hanging around adult musicians - carrying instrument cases and running
errands, in exchange for lessons - and he wants to continue the tradition?

As for why more youngsters don't grab that opportunity with both hands AND
feet, there are so many more mindless distractions (video games, etc.) now
than 100 years ago that most of them probably are unwilling to make the
effort. Learning music is real work, some physical but more mental. On a
percentage of total population basis, how many adults in this country, much
less children, are willing to make an effort now for future benefit?

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.