[Dixielandjazz] le deluge

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jan 12 13:15:17 PST 2010

I know Brett - His solos are usually very nice - I still don't think you can
teach it even if you are Brett Stamps.  I have only heard a couple of good
jazzers come out of SIUE but then again I haven't heard everyone there.  I
also haven't heard him with Cornet Chop Suey but I would imagine he does a
great job with them.

When I first heard he was playing with them I sort of wondered if his style
would fit with a trad band.  He does great with big band solos but since I
haven't heard him with CCS I really don't know.

At this point I would much rather hear Joe Thompson play a (Trombone) Trad
solo that just about anyone else around.  Joe is an exceptional Player - not
as many notes as Brett but very tasty.

I play with Brett in the Gary Dammer Big Band and I am very familiar with
his style.  I think Brett is a case in point.  He is very capable of
composing on the fly in the style that he is playing in at the moment.  By
the way Brett and Gary are close neighbors in Edwardsville and both are
exceptional jazzers.  Brett is one of the few non Air Force musicians in
Gary's band.

I think that a teacher can give pointers and teach technique and play some
things and hope the students learn by example.  The better the teacher the
better the pointers.

In a way it's unfair to single out Brett because he is IMHO an exception to
most teachers even on the college level.  Certainly head and shoulders above
anyone at the school I went to.  If you compare him to the average High
school teacher there just isn't any comparison.  Honestly I think I could
count on one hand the high school teachers in St. Louis that are good or
even pretty good jazzers.  High school teachers today just don't have the
time to become proficient jazzers.  Teaching high school band is an
incredible time suck.  There is another thing too.  H.S. band directors have
football and basketball games along with tons of other stuff which makes
them unavailable for gigs.  Then there are wives that like to see their
husbands occasionally.  It's tough to be a good jazzer and teach at the same
time.

I still believe that jazz is learned on the stand with other musicians and
not in a classroom.  You can teach someone to paint like Picasso but you
could never teach a Picasso.  Technique is one thing and art is completely
another.  There is a time when technique must turn into art or you have
something akin to watching weight lifting contests or foot races.  BORING!

One of the big problems that students have today is that there are few bands
and gigs.  Learning on the stand is much more difficult that it was 50 years
ago.  Students today have to depend on lab bands to get their feet wet.  In
my case I was playing regularly when I was 15 and just never stopped.  Young
people have to be very, very aggressive today if they want to be an active
musician.  Most don't want to work that hard.

I will say it again.  You can teach the mechanics but you can't teach the
art and I would imagine that Brett would agree with that.
Larry
StL