[Dixielandjazz] Stage presence

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jan 12 10:54:15 PST 2010

Jim Said:  Knowing when to take your solo
> (clarinet wasn't a God-given first solo always!),

There is a reason why the reed players take the first solo and that's to
rest the brass players chops.  It's primarily the cornet player I'm thinking
of.  I guess it depends on the band and the strength of the brass players.
We usually break it up with a trombone or piano solo second for variety but
it's up to the cornet player who is usually the musical leader of the (trad)
band to move his bell in someone's direction.

Since I am the reed player I listen very closely and if no one takes it then
it's me and I go.  It's usually very smooth.  The others do the same and it
works out.  This is where a lead in  or pickups to the solo is useful.  If
everyone is doing pickups then it's who ever gets there first.  I think
careful listening is the trick so it works out without train wrecks and
without stepping on anyone's solo.

I do agree that it's something you learn actually performing on the stage
and most likely couldn't be covered in a course.
Larry
StL