[Dixielandjazz] Clapping on 1 & 3 - Was Dixieland Rock - Was Stage Presence

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 9 12:14:02 PST 2010

>>>Nothing drives me nuts like an audience listening to Trad (or big band) and clapping on 1 & 3 like it's a country hoe-down.<<<

Vol 1 of the George Lewis Miami University series has you beat.  Try a whole auditorium, half clapping on one and three, the other half clapping on two and four, and some strays clapping wherever they damn well please.  Add the aural lag to the mix, and you got one friggingly mushy bunch of clapping!  But those young white folk did the best they could.  It was, after all, quite new to them.