[Dixielandjazz] Melody Gardot

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Jan 8 16:09:36 PST 2010

Jeez, I love discovering stuff that I really like.  I am a fan and will
look up other stuff by Melody Gardot.  No, Bob, I am not in love, but I
do thank you mucho for passing her along.

I mostly lurk. I have over 13000 unread messages in my DJML folder.  I
do write from time to time and, was getting ready to add my thoughts on
Nikki Yanofsky.  I am a fan of hers too.  I think she is great
considering her age and I think her youth is great for jazz in general.
I can't wait to see her when she is 25.

I was surprised by some of the comments on Nikki.  You all are a funny
lot.  Now, your turn to call me funny as I will reveal my thoughts.  I
think she is wonderful.  Is she better than sliced bread, not yet.  She
has a lot of potential, yet a lot to learn.  I think her enthusiasm
should enthuse any promoter of jazz.

What a thrill to front a big band at 15 years old.  One day, I am sure,
she will command the stage.  Today, she does not at 100%.  Her
enthusiasm convinces me of her future successes.  I actually preferred
the folky sound she had on the Raw Sessions clips.

If this Saturday night both Nikki Yanofsky and Melody Gardot were
playing in Clermont-Ferrand at similar venues with similar conditions,
I'd go see Melody.  I'm not sure I'd say the same thing in 2020.  We'll
see (I hope).

Now, talking about stage presence, I'd like to offer a link.  Here is
Bobby McFerrin getting his audience to sing Gounod's Ave Maria over
Bach's Prelude in C.  Sure his choir helps out, but here is full command
of the stage (and, the house) while staying extremely soft and
understated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgvJg7D6Qck

For those I've missed, I wish you all the very best in the new year.

-Gary

Bob Romans wrote:
> Maybe not OKOM, but....I'm in love again! Where did this great singer
> come from???
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslwSKbymPg&feature=related

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson