[Dixielandjazz] Pavel Havlik

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:47:55 PST 2010

Some time ago I mentioned the Pavel Havlik's Swing Band, hoping for
information in excess of that given on the sleeve.
I had heard Havlik before, on a compilation of Breda Jazz Festival
performances, but I somehow remembered hearing him elsewhere as well.
Yesterday (the day before, actually, as it's already almost 1AM) I
played Tea for Four by the Peague Swing Quartet, and - bingo!  There
was Pavel Havlik, bursting with inspiration and swinging like mad!
Very Goodmanish, to be sure, but what swing clarinet player is not?
But two numbers on that record are originals by the leader Vladimir
Kusak (p), two more - by other Czech composers, so that it's not pure
copying.
Anyway, a very hot, swinging record, even if the singing leaves a lot
to be desired.
Cheers