[Dixielandjazz] 15 year old Nikki Yanofsky

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 6 17:00:11 PST 2010

 Hi Pat,

As far as I'm concerned, computers run on magic and most of what has
happened with the internet is way over my head. I would argue that you have
a right to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't trespass against
anyone else's rights, safety or well-being.

And I'll take Peggy Lee or Connie Boswell or Annette Henshaw or Rosemary
Clooney or indeed Ella over 99% of the so-called singers who are
commercially successful right now.

But great performers don't develop out of thin air. They develop out of
imitating and absorbing and trying and failing and picking themselves up and
brushing themselves off and starting all over again (man there's a song in
there like they don't write any more!).

I may have read the tone of your first posting about this kid incorrectly,
but it didn't sound to me like a musician commenting on another musician. It
sounded far less generous or understanding than the great musicians usually
themselves are. So, I wanted to know where you were coming from in the good
old fashioned sense of that phrase.

By the way, about your trumpet player's break - who said "Repetition is the
death of art"? I'll send you an MP3 of something you're never heard before
if you can guess without looking it up.

Cheers,

Ric