[Dixielandjazz] NPR.org - The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Jan 5 15:13:36 PST 2010

To:  DJML  & Musicians and Jazzfans list
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's a link to the NPR story feature about changing in recording techniques, MP3 and "why music sounds worse."  The  story seems to make sense to me, but I am not a "sound" expert and I have some decreased hearing acuity consistent with my age--mid 70s.  Some of this has been discussed, in part, on these lists before, but, I'd be especially interested in what Jim Kashishian and other experts have to say on this.

The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058&sc=emaf

*Listen/Watch on NPR.org*
Many stories at NPR.org have audio or video content. When you visit the link
above, look for a "Listen" or "Watch" button.
For technical support, please visit NPR's Audio/Video Help page:
http://www.npr.org/help/media.html

							--end--