[Dixielandjazz] Answer to Bob

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Jan 4 23:08:33 PST 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Dear Bob:
>
> I shouldn't wonder at your confusion. Your math is wrong. THINK
>
> First of all, you are wrong about my age, but lets assume you are
> right. If I am almost 75, I wasn't born in 1932, however lets assume I
> could have been Never the less,  50-17 is 33. 50 - 33 is 17, 17 + 33
> is 50.  Therefore 50 is 50. <grin>
>
> How come you can't understand that?
>
> As for poetic license, I'm happy to be able to teach a man of your
> knowledge and accomplishments something. Glad I cleared it up for you.
>
> However, I don't think I'll be able to teach you math.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 11:50 PM, Robert Ringwald wrote:
>
>> I am getting more and more confused.
>>
>> Steve, in a previous post you say:

>> You are correct Bob, my professional musician career is about 33
>> years. Roughly between 1949 and 1962, and then again, roughly from
>> 1992 to present and still ticking.
>>
>> Then you say

>>> Bob Ringwald asked about my saying 50 years of playing jazz on my
>>> website, as opposed to 33 years as a professional jazz musician.
>>>
>>> Bob, I spent some time playing jazz before I played gigs for money.
>>> Roughly from age 5 on, when I was  playing the piano. Like many of the
>>> kids in those days, I played what my parents called jazz on the piano
>>> from the beginning (having good ears)
>>
>> OK, I think I get it.
>>
>> I believe you are almost 75.  That would mean you were born around
>> 1934 or 35.
>>
>> You said your musical career was 33 years.
>>
>> On your web site you say 50 years.
>>
>> 50 - 33 is 17.
>>
>> If you were born in 1934 and you started playing Jazz in 1932, 32 +
>> 17 is 49.  So there is the 17 missing years.  You were playing Jazz
>> since 2-years before you were born.
>>
>> I get it now.
>>
>> Then you wrote:
>>
>> quote
>>> I take a little poetic license on the website to let prospective
>>> clients know that Barbone Street is an experienced band, not the usual
>>> garage stuff they are used to hiring.
>>
>> So, that is what poetic license is.
>>
>> Glad you cleared it up for me.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --Bob

>> signature database 4743 (20100104) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

Regarding all these date datum: Since we are entering into an area of
quantum math, just remember that Pie are round, not square. Any way you
slice it kiddos - we'uns is just plain getting old.
(By the way, while up in Minnesota I discovered the natives fishing for
a fish that is ugly, slimy and a predator. They call them "lawyers"; so
maybe Steve was wise not to mention
the exact nature of his in between playing days occupation by another
description. Just joshing to passthetime to the nest blizzard, Steve.
Happy New Year - a lif tof the Cardhu to you, laddie.
Don