[Dixielandjazz] Female Jazz Musicians - exceptions to the rule?

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 4 21:14:39 PST 2010

Steve, and all -

Ii should be pointed out that the correct name for that group is
"Dixieland Dykes + 3" (but I have no idea why they decided to loose
the obvious connection in their name - maybe a lawsuit from New
Orleans?)

I have not actually ever heard the group - they do not seem to have
ever connected to the local San Francisco  Trad Jazz societies...
outreach, anybody?

(BTW, Bruce Vermazen's Chrysanthemum Ragtime Band was probably the
first LGBT band in San Francisco - they did some amazingly accurate
Ragtime transcriptions and sadly did not survive into the CD era.
Bruce later moved to San Diego and formed the  Heliotrope Ragtime
Orchestra  http://www.sandiegoragtime.com/ )

Dave RIchoux