[Dixielandjazz] More Female OKOM Musicians

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 10:00:20 PST 2010

In truth, I am quite empathic to what I imagine as a pain in the rear for
small ensemble groups that include a female or two.  For example, in my
imagination at least, guys in a road trip car are not hesitant to pass gas
(among themselves).  Then there are even more complex issues of whose  paying
attention to whom.  I suspect not that many women are interested in  constant
travel for one night appearances, etc.
I doubt if I would be.  I have made a couple of short trips with a  couple
of guys and myself.  At our age and stage, with no one needing to  court
anyone else, I find the friendship building that occurs pretty special,
believe it makes for better music at the destination.

There are also apparently deeply embedded cultural factors operating.
Women are far less likely to choose brass instruments.  They also don't  head
for banjo in significant numbers.  I have had more girls than boys  drop our
of my youth banjo band and they are far less likely to have a "mom" who
calls me in the first place.  Then there are the issues of my wanting  them to
do what with their tender, delicate, fingertips.  LOL

Of course, I would like to see level playing field opportunities  for
musicians in female bodies.

But when I started my thread, it was a reactivation of my pipe dream to get
 youth bands going., and not about what sex.  We don't have youth  bands
happening locally. Nationally, is it what, less than ten such  projects?
(There are local high school and college bands that start  with swing and
quickly move forward.  Can't blame those teachers as  that's where their own
education started.)  I'm just being frustrated  because I have not found a local
person to undertake a more  historic effort.  But the fact is someone told
me a couple of weeks  ago to call them and talk more about my thoughts.  So,
I need to pick up  the phone.  I will, today.  My procrastination springs
from a good  understanding of how much time will be involved -- time I don't
want to  devote.  (Rueful grin.)
Ginny