[Dixielandjazz] More Female OKOM Musicians

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 06:34:42 PST 2010

>> These are exceptions that prove the rule.  Now would someone please  list
>> all the men playing OKUM.  Do you get the point yet?????
>>
>> Ginny :?)
>>

> I think we have more "new men" among the UK instrumentalists :-)
I'm sure there still exists a cohort that like to be male only but it's
declining.

There are many more women playing in the UK than have been listed so
far.  I'm not going to write  a long boring list of names that'll mean
nothing to most,  but here are 3 (forgive me if I missed seeing them in
a prevous post)  At a gig last night, Rachel Hayward was on gtr and bjo
and Debbie Arthurs on drums..... Rachel has played with well known
people; notably Sammy Rimmington, and directs Bude Jazz Festival.
Debbie is a fine vintage drummer and singer. Another name to be reckoned
with is Amy Roberts; aged about 22 she's a classy  reed player who now
runs her own band in which the veterans are happy to be included .

Of course, life IS unfair, until males can have a mammary transplant
it's women who get left holding the baby. When there's  a musical
partnership it tends to be the woman who drops out for a few years and
then finds it hard to regain a foothold.

Women also have to cope with myths,  there seems to be an assumption
that we don't like working together. Just not true.

Jude