[Dixielandjazz] Female Musicians

gluetje1 at aol.com gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 16:15:50 PST 2010

I have a dratted time replying correctly to this list.  I meant this  reply
sent earlier today to be directed also to the list and not just to  Marek.
So, below, I am trying again.

To me, females in music seems a somewhat separate topic from any
widespread movement to draw youth to hearing and playing "melody-based"  jazz.

But basically, men, in the interest of self-preservation of a field or
discipline, you should try to keep women out.  :?)  Happens  everywhere
regularly.  Medicine just one example.  As more  females become doctors, the
profession becomes less attractive to men.

Hmmnn, Jelly Roll took up the piano even though it was considered a sissy
instrument and look what happened in terms of who played jazz piano.  He
should be a great male hero.

Just trying to have a moment of fun here.

In terms of attracting youth, my reading of history is that adolescents and
 pre-adolescents originally got interested because they were on the outside
 looking in at adults who seemed to be having fun.

Do kids any longer see adults having fun?  What are those adults  doing?

Ginny

In a message dated 1/3/2010 8:04:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,