[Dixielandjazz] Happy New Year

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 14:55:41 PST 2010

Hello Ginny,
I had sent my first reply before watching the video.
Having watched it, I find expalining the phenomenon easy:

The Breda Jazz Festival is mostly free and outdoors.  Thus, people who
just pass the Grotte Markt (the Great Market), with no intention to
listen to jazz, are exposed to various styles of OKOM (and, in the
recent years, other kinds of music as well).  No wonder there are
young audiences, or rather - young people in the audience.  And it
must rub off on some.  I saw several generations there, enjoying jazz
together: great-grand mothers and fathers, grand-mothers and fathers,
parents and children, often toddlers.  It also proves that all God's
chillun got rhythm - until we spoil them.  You can see lots of little
kids dancing to the music and enjoying themselves.
And, if you have young audiences, you get young musicians; perhaps not
as many as one could wish, but at least some.
Anyway, it is festivals such as Breda (or Enkhuizen, but that one is
much smaller) that ensure the future of OKOM in Europe, not festivals
where one has to pay great amount of money to get in.
Cheers