[Dixielandjazz] "Man of War" (was I Want to Be Seduced)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 2 14:35:08 PST 2010

Mark McCormick wrote in reply to my question Which "Man of War" is that?
The Jackson 5?
Or the Lizzie Miles' version from January 1930?:
> Lizzie Miles. That is one filthy tune.

Dear Mark,
Wow.
If you think that's "filthy", don't even listen to the Lucille Bogan [as Bessie Jackson with Walter Roland, p. March 1935] version of "Shave 'em Dry" on the 1991 Sony Columbia Legacy CD 'Raunchy Business: Hot Nuts & Lollypops'.
There are two versions on the CD (which had a content warning sticker on it).
A 'raunchy' one and an explicit one.
I don't like either of them, but have a DJMLer mate here in Australia who does.
He knows who he is.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.