[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Rich Tapes==Bert Brandsma

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:59:37 PST 2010

This further mention of Buddy Rich has reminded me of something I left out
earlier.

I will have to search my personal archives to check the condition of a VHS
tape that I have that was recorded from a PBS program that was a tribute to
Tommy Dorsey.

The orchestra was led by Buddy Morrow and the program was hosted by Mel
Torme..  Mel may have done a number or two but for the most part those tunes
that had been performed and/or recorded during the band's heyday by Frank
Sinatra, Jack Leonard, Jo Stafford and Connie Haines were interpereted by
Jack Jones and Maureen McGovern.

But the highlight of the evening was when Mel Torme took to the drums as the
band backed Buddy Rich singing.  It should come as no surprise to anyone
that Mel fared better on drums than Buddy did singing but he always loved to
do a little vocalizing with little regard as to whether anyone really
appreciated it.or not..

I learned sometime later that this was Buddy's final public appearance.

On one of his albums I even have him doing Kermit the Frog's number "It
Isn't Easy Being Green" (but then again, even Sinatra recorded that)

Ok, this time I'm done fer shur.

HC

--
Music you grew up listening to