[Dixielandjazz] John Pizzarelli interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Feb 26 08:33:39 PST 2010

John Pizzarelli Delivers
Singing guitarist goes on an Ellington kick
by Ed Symkus
Boston Herald, February 25, 2010

It's hard to imagine John Pizzarelli crooning "Satin Doll" while plunking away on
a banjo instead of his seven-string guitar.
But that's how he got his start.
"My father's uncles were banjo players and they taught me to play when I was 6 or
7," said Pizzarelli, who plays the Wilbur Theatre on Sunday. "I probably started
playing guitar seriously when I was 13 or 14."
Which only makes sense. Pizzarelli's father is internationally renowned jazz guitarist
Bucky Pizzarelli. His dad also introduced him to the music of Duke Ellington, the
focus of Pizzarelli's new record, "Rockin' in Rhythm: A Tribute to Duke Ellington."
"Duke Ellington is jazz's star," said Pizzarelli, who is best-known in New England
as the voice and face of Foxwoods ("The wonder of it all.") "Like Richard Rodgers
would be to the American theater, Duke Ellington is to jazz. Not only did he have
a band, but he wrote songs and he was a personality and a great musician. He had
all the ingredients of what it is to be a star, but in the world of jazz.
"The other thing about Duke Ellington is that it's not just songs with lyrics, but
also instrumentals. You get to do so much more, and play more guitar."
Pizzarelli, 49, wasn't always performing in the laid-back-but-swinging style his
fans have grown to love. He started off as a rocker in bands covering everyone from
Peter Frampton to the Eagles to the Beatles. Then he discovered the cool calm of
Nat King Cole.
But the Ellington album is straight-up jazz, featuring plenty of Pizzarelli scat
singing along to his guitar solos.
Is there a technical term for it? "Yes, it's called scatting along with your guitar
solo," Pizzarelli said, laughing. "I have no idea what they call it. Slam Stewart
did it first on the bass and I learned it from George Benson doing it on 'This Masquerade.'
"
Pizzarelli also works as a duo in clubs and on the syndicated program "Radio Deluxe"
(heard locally on WICN-FM (90.5), Sundays at 4 p.m.). His other half is his real-life
better half: singer Jessica Molaskey.
When the couple are at home in New York, Pizzarelli can often be found in the kitchen.
His favorite cuisine?
"I like to make pasta from scratch," he said proudly. "It started with Mario Batali
from the Food Network. I was watching him make pasta one day and I said, 'I gotta
do this.' So I like to think of myself as a cover band for Mario Batali. I read his
recipes and I make them."
-30

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
--Thomas Jefferson

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4898 (20100226) __________

http://www.eset.com