[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Wax-- Interview with Bobby Shew about Buddy Rich Band

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:10:24 PST 2010

I remember reading (possibly in George T. Simon's "The Big Bands") of the
time
when Rich bribed some girl to approach Sinatra and ask him for his autograph
(back when
both were with Tommy Dorsey's orchestra.

Of course, I may be parahrasing the actual dialogue but essentially after
Frank gave the girl
his autograph, she asked for two more.  Frank said, "I suppose these are for
a couple of your friends?"

She replied, "No, Mr. Sinatra, but I can trade three of yours and get one of
Bob Eberly" (who was at the time singing with brother Jimmy's orchestra.

Forgive me if I have them confused but I know that while they were brothers,
I believe Bob spelled his name as shown and brother Ray, with the Glenn
Miller Orchestra, spelled it Eberle, although I could have them reversed.

What their names were at birth I do not know as I was not around back then.

Also, there was a time when Sinatra reportedly hurled a pitcher of ice water
at Rich, missing him but observers said he might have killed him if it hit
him square in the head.

Caught Rich and his perhaps 16-piece band in NY's Central Park in the early
70s.  At the time Schaefer beer was presenting jazz concerts there for $5 a
head (if you paid $5 for your head, they would let you bring in your entire
body)  They would feature the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Lou Rawls, Ramsey
Lewis Trio and many others.

The number he played that night that I was most impressed with (and was
unable to find on a CD until just a few years ago) was a medley from
"Midnight Cowboy" with Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin" interwoven with
John Barry's theme from the movie.and a coupla other less significant
numbers that made up the soundtrack on the film.

I have always considered him the greatest drummer of all time, although I
know many will argue Gene Krupa......and Louis Bellson was no slouch either.

Tides
HC