[Dixielandjazz] The Outrageous Sophie Tucker

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 25 13:46:34 PST 2010

Robert Ringwald wrote:
> "The Outrageous Sophie Tucker" documentary
> http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Innovative-Films-Announces-Start-Production-The-Outrageous-Sophie-Tucker-Feature-Documentary-1120649.htm

Dear Bob,
Thank you for that interesting news.
It is certainly something to look forward to.
The Will Friedwald review of the Book/CD mentioned in the above link was posted on the DJML on 16 October 2009 by our dear mate Nancie Beaven.
It was released by Archeophone (not named), the group that gave us the definitive reissue CD of the King Oliver Creole Jazz Band.
I have had this Sophie Tucker Book/CD since last October and, for those of us who like this music, it is well worth the US$23.99 price.
Apart from the magnificent well-illustrated 72 page book, it provides an additional contribution by reissuing Sophie Tucker's earlier cylinders and records from 1910-22.
Full details at:
   http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=88
Another complementary CD worth considering is the 2-CD set released by Jasmine (JASCD 134) which covers Ms Tucker's recordings from the 1927-37.
Together, they cover about 90% of Sophie Tucker's studio-recorded output.
I have nothing (except admiration) to do with Archeophone - or Jasmine.
Very kind regards,
Bill.