[Dixielandjazz] Plagerism

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Wed Feb 24 11:28:51 PST 2010

Steve wrote:
The one I always heard was the pop song "Yes, We Have No Bananas" (~1922 or
so) was sued for the first 4 notes/chords by... Handel's decendents!
The tune? The Hallelujah Chorus!  and I heard they won...  anyway, that's the way the
story goes...
=========================
I can confirm that one. I sublet an office from Frank Silver for a number
of years at 45 Weat 45th Street NYC. Frank "wrote" Yes We Have No Bananas"
FYI: Stephen Foster wrote "Old Folks At Home"
Sy Oliver copyrighted "Swanee River" as a work on a work. Published by Embasy
Music - Tommy Dorsey's company.
Another, perhaps legend, Stravinsky revised "The Rite Of Spring" a few times.
Purpose, I was told, was to renew the copyright.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com