[Dixielandjazz] Stolen change

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:41:43 PST 2010

Heck, Jelly Roll stole tunes all the time.  And people stole tunes from him.

Led Zepplin (oooo...there's that kid talking about that evil Rock again) used a lot of delta blues, sometimes just tune or part of the tune, on occasion tune and some lyrics, as their source material, acknowledging it but probably not paying anything for it.

And, Bird did the changes copy with any number of tunes.  Donna Lee just pops into my mind first.  He also did a few "Rhythm" tunes.

Melody can be copyrighted; changes can't.  I think I remember a case where rhythm was challenged, but I can't remember the outcome.  It was a Bolero-type piece, where the rhythm was a distinctive feature of the piece.

Remember that John Fogarty, of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame originally, was involved in a plagiarism lawsuit.  (oh, geez...more rock)  He was sued by the rights holder of the CCR library from the 60s-early 70s, for writing songsin the 80s-90s that bore significant resemblance to the CCR tunes.  Of course, since he WROTE all the CCR tunes, he was being sued for plagiarizing himself!  GONG.   not guilty.

steve