[Dixielandjazz] What is OKOM? - again

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 21 16:34:40 PST 2010

Marek Boym wrote:
> An interesting question - what is OKOM?
> As this is a Dixieland Jazz Mailing List, it means traditionl jazz, I guess.

Dear Marek,
Our Kind Of Music seems to be what we want it to mean.
Some time ago (while trying to get some listmates away from a long-running non-jazz subject) our Chief-of-Policing, Bob Ringwald, summed it up extremely well.
I went back through my saved DJML emails, but couldn't locate it.
It was along the lines that we were free to discuss our favourite jazz music and the era in which it was played including personalities, anecdotes, records, movies, radio, history, etc. associated with that particular era.
There was to be no on-list discussion about politics or religion. Not even implied.
Or personal arguments. Musical or otherwise.
[Do you remember that email Bob?]
I felt at the time that it should be included with the monthly DJML/Islandnet membership reminder.
Very kind regards,
Bill.