[Dixielandjazz] Question

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:53:18 PST 2010

Yeah, guys.....I've got 'em both, and as you know ,besides the excellent
material contained therein, Command was noted for its superior fidelity.

The label also put out an LP around the same time which I have that was
entitled, "Big Noise From Winetka".  The label says Bob Haggart and his
orchestra but when one looks at the personnel it was clearly the "Tonight
Show Orch,"which was at the time conducted by Doc Severinsen and Bob was a
regular with.

When Carson took the show to the west coast, Haggart did not choose to go
with them, preferring to remain in NY..  While Bob had always been a bass
player, I believe that his seat in the band was taken by Tony Mottola on
guitar but I won't swear to it because that's too many years ago for me to
be absolutely sure.

I happened to be backstage (in NY) at "The Tonight Show" the only time I
ever heard Doc Severinsen blow a sour note.  It was during his rendition of
"By the Time I Get to Phoenix".  Fortunately, it occurred during a
commercial break and was only heard by the studio audience

As many I'm sure will recall, at least there were times that Johnny would
introduce the band and have them play a complete number during the course of
the show.  My main gripe about Letterman's program is that Paul Schaefer has
an excellent ensemble and they rarely if ever have them on the air unless
they happen to be backing a guest vocalist. It bothers me even more when
they have an instrumentalist such as David Sanborn sitting in with them for
the night and it's only the studio audience that gets to hear.him...

Incidentally, Bob Haggart Jr. was an excellent drummer who played for a
coupla years with the Smith Street Society Jazz Band.  I believe that he
left
because his interests were more rock-oriented and in my humble opinion, it
was a tremendous loss to the band.  Haven't heard anything about him since
and would be interested if anyone reading this knows of his whereabouts and
what he might be doing these days.if he has remained in the music field.

Tides,
HC