[Dixielandjazz] Philharmonic Flavor _ Carol Jantsch

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 20 09:04:49 PST 2010

> steve hoog <eupher61 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiuOx3ej_Y
>
> This is a brass group from the Philadelphia Orchestra, c. 1984.
> They do OK as a barbershop group too!  Steve's friend, the late Glen
> Dodson is the middle trombone player, flanked by Charlie Vernon (now
> bass trombone in the Chicago Symphony) on the far end, and Joe
> Alessi (requisite jazz content, a GREAT jazz player too, then the
> Second Trombone in Philadelphia  but now Principal Trombone in the
> NY Philharmonic) with the dark beard, and Roger Blackburn, trumpet
> in the Philadelphia Orchestra still (as far as I know), the trumpet.
> They apparently had this quartet together until Joe left a year or
> so later, and Charlie left shortly after.  A good vocal group, but
> the brass playing is amazing.
>
> But, it's not anything closely related to OKOM, so it probably will
> be roundly rejected and hated by many.
>
> Actually, they did 4 Freshmen kind of vocals too, and a lot of the
> horn charts were ragtime in flavor.  I'd heard OF the group in their
> day, but never had heard nor seen them perform.  It's really
> interesting to see Glen with short hair, Joe with a full beard, and
> both Joe and Charlie with hair!  Check out some of the video links
> on the page for more contemporary Charlie and Joe, more for the
> playing than the look.  Joe's "Bolero" is specifically a great listen.
>
> Steve, have you gotten your talons into Carol Jantsch to get her
> playing jazz yet?  Carol is the first woman to hold a major-level
> orchestra chair as Principal Tuba.  She is, frankly, amazing.

Hi Steve & Listmates:

Roger Blackburn is still with the Philadelphia on trumpet. Dodson
taught him how to play soprano trombone, (slide trumpet) which he
played at Glenn's memorial at Curtis Institute. Dodson also taught
Alessi and helped Alessi get the gig with the NY Philharmonic. Both
Dodson and Alessi are masters of 'Biolero'. Glenn is on a Philadelphia
Orchestra Record of it, circa 1983), which is absolutely fantastic. If
you see a copy of that record somewhere and are a low brass fan, buy it.

You hear a clip of Alessi oplaying Bolero in a master class of his at :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va2emfJW6j4

For some of his jazz see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnGSD-GYq2g.
Note also the comments which claim this is not jazz.

For more of the story and more barbershop brass, see Alessi's website
about Dodson on this very subject:  http://www.slidearea.com/
dodson.html  Click on the tracks if you are of a mind to do so. Some
Instrumental, some vocal.

No, I haven't gotten around to Carol Jantch yet. Our usual rhythm is
guitar, double bass. Very few tuba opportunities. Hopefully though,
before I depart this earth, I will arrange a gig or two with her. She
is indeed a phenomenal tubist and an impressive young lady.

You can her clips of her playing at: http://www.caroljantsch.com/recordings.html

In addition to classical music, she like different genres of music
including Jazz, Hip Hop, Latin, Chamber, and Funk.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband