[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Baker & Chris Barber

Keith Garner ckg at talktalk.net
Fri Feb 19 15:46:54 PST 2010

Hi All

Ken Mathieson wrote

> To pick up on a couple of threads currently running, I remember hearing
> some of the Kenny Baker recreations of the Hot 5s and 7s (The Louis
>  >Armstrong Connection) when they first came out and remember thinking
> "interesting experiment, but why bother?"

I'm fairly certain that Kenny Baker was also involved in another recreation
project involving the music of Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. I have
the resulting LP but cannot put my hands on it at present so I am working
from memory.  In this case I believe that the music was required for a
modern dance show involving Twyla Tharp - possibly for the BBC. It was felt
that thr original recordings weren't suitable for use so the recreation was
commissioned.  The result makes interesting listening, but I share Ken's
view about the polished (and studied) performances lacking the feel and
immediacy of the originals.  Of the other players I can only recall that
Judd Proctor played banjo but I do remember that, brilliant player though he
was, Kenny Baker sounded nothing at all like George Mitchell - but then who
does!

Regards
Keith Garner
www.jazzpzazz.co.uk