[Dixielandjazz] To Billie with Love - Dee Dee Bridgewater's Tribute

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:09:20 PST 2010

Steve:

I am so glad to hear someone else making mention of Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Many years ago, I picked up a used cassette by her.  Having never heard of
her before, I just looked at her picture on the cover and the list of
selections and said, "This just looks like a chick who might have been
influenced by the likes of Ella, Sarah, Billie, etc" and it turned out that
I was right on

I've since acquired a coupla LPs by her, one I think recorded live in
Japan.  Having seen her in one of the BET jazz programs, I seem to recall
that she was away from the U.S. for a considerable number of years, possibly
in France.  However, one of the European subscribers here on DJML would be
far more qualified  on the subject.than I.

If I had any criticism as to the recordings I have by her, I would have to
say there was more scatting than I really cared to hear.  However, I could
often say the same of my favorite jazz vocalist, the late Carmen McRae, as
well as Ella., Mel Torme and a few others.

Of course, you posting this reminds me once again of the things that just
ain't gonna happen in this hick town in Texas.

Tides,
Harry