[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays Feb 16

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:58:34 PST 2010

Hi,
Humph (that's Hunphrey Lyttelton) had a national hit with "Bad Penny
Blues."  Bechet's greatest hit was "Onions," "Petite Fleur" being only
second.  In Britain (and perhaps other European countries), th big hit
was Barber's rendition, with Monty Sunshine on clarinet.  In Israel it
was the Bechet version, which was issued as a single (with "Dans les
Rues d'Antibbes" on the flip side).
Acker Bilk had a great hit with "Stranger on the Shore," bur that was
with a stringg orchestra.  Bilk continued playing it after his glory
days, and, with no strings attached, it sounded much better.
Cheers